Greenlawn Memorial Park was the vision of Ed Helm (1891-1952). Having already established Bakersfield Monument Company in 1927, he witnessed a rapidly growing Bakersfield and knew that the time would come when additional interment property would be needed.
To that end, Greenlawn Memorial Park was established in 1931, and in 1934, the planning process began for Greenlawn Mortuary. In 1941 Ed himself turned the first shovelful of earth for what would become the location of the chapel. The following is taken from the forward of Greenlawn’s historical documents:
The word “cemetery,” of Greek origin and meaning “resting or sleeping place,” is merely a place where the bodies of mankind are laid to await the resurrection; and with the thought of this, death in itself is far from repelling. As we sleep, why not rest in a modern burial estate where all the arts of the landscape engineer finds its best expression? Where nature smiles forth in all her resplendent beauty, where in the very warmth and setting of our surroundings we live again? Where studious advantage is to be taken of the natural beauty of each setting, of shrubs, of flowers and of lawns? Each spot, each place of rest verily jewel-like in its perfection! Such is the opportunity afforded by Greenlawn Memorial Park, a veritable paradise of somber rest and beauty, created in the modern way.
It was the hope of Ed Helm that, for generations to come, Greenlawn Memorial Park would be a place that residents of Kern County would be drawn to, not only because of its physical beauty, but because of the dedication of the people who would work there. His dream has stood the test of time through the hard work of his son, Marshall E. Helm, and the continued commitment of his grandchildren.